Current:Home > FinanceBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Wealth Nexus Pro
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 22:33:23
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (39945)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- 2024 WNBA playoffs bracket: Standings, matchups, first round schedule and results
- Takeaways from an AP and Texas Tribune report on 24 hours along the US-Mexico border
- Sean Diddy Combs and Kim Porter’s Kids Break Silence on Rumors About Her Death and Alleged Memoir
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Margaret Qualley Reveals Why Husband Jack Antonoff Lied to Her “First Crush” Adam Sandler
- Jury awards $2.78 million to nanny over hidden camera in bedroom
- Hurricanes keep pummeling one part of Florida. Residents are exhausted.
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Helene reaches hurricane status ahead of landfall in Florida: Live updates
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Taylor Swift From NFL Fans Blaming Singer for Travis Kelce's Performance
- Crazy Town frontman Shifty Shellshock's cause of death revealed
- You’ll Bend and Snap Over Reese Witherspoon’s Legally Blonde Prequel Announcement
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Demi Lovato doesn’t remember much of her time on Disney Channel. It's called dissociation.
- Ellen DeGeneres says she went to therapy amid toxic workplace scandal in final comedy special
- A Missouri man has been executed for a 1998 murder. Was he guilty or innocent?
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Woman arrested for burglary after entering stranger’s home, preparing dinner
2 hurt in explosion at Southern California courthouse and 1 person of interest detained
Rep. Ocasio-Cortez says New York City mayor should resign
Small twin
Democrats try to censure Rep. Clay Higgins for slandering Haitians in social media post
Rapper Fatman Scoop died of heart disease, medical examiner says
Senate confirms commander of US Army forces in the Pacific after Tuberville drops objections